Wednesday, March 9, 2011

so, here we go.

Ok. I am a journalism student. Communications student really, with a double concentration in journalism and public relations. So I should have a blog right? Right. Well, I did have a blog, but I unfortunately got pretty lazy with it. I did make a Tumblr a few months ago and although I do enjoy that site, I quickly realized it is best for short spurts of ideas, like quotes or photos and not really true blogging. I would get fleeting thoughts every now and then to start fresh and begin a new blog but then negative train would come into town and I would think of things like: "am I really that great of a writer?" "what should I write about?" "does anyone really care about what I have to say?" After that lovely montage of pessimism the thought of blogging would swiftly leave my mind and that was the end of that.

However, after getting the opportunity to hear social media guru Chris Dessi give a talk at my college, Marist, tonight I immediately became inspired. Now, when I say immediately, I mean it. I literally came home, chit-chatted with my house mates for a few moments and quickly came to my room. No offense to Wordpress, but since I had used that blogging platform before I really wanted a brand-spanking new start to this blogging venture and I had heard nothing but good things about Blogspot, so here I am.

Dessi gave me hope in a sense because although he is a social media guru, he discussed blogging as well and said to write about anything and everything, (I don't think he has realized all of the floodgates he opened up there in my mind). Such as writing about your significant other, your parents, best friends, dreams, hopes and passions. Needless to say, yep that's right, his driving words inspired me. Like I said, I was a little too excited  to get back home and begin blogging and I have a good feeling that I will keep up with this; especially as I am about to enter an entire new phase of life.

My graduation date is approaching much too quickly for my liking (May 21st). And I don't really know where I will be headed once I leave the safe bubble that is Marist College. But I want to tell that tale on this blog and I hope that you will stay tuned to see where I go/end up/live/work/love/grow/and most importantly what I learn.

2 Comments:

At March 10, 2011 at 1:44 PM , Blogger Christopher Dessi said...

Amanda,

Super job with this! I'm flattered by your kind words, and I hope you found true value in the presentation.

It was great to meet you, and please let me know if you ever need any help from me. Just reach out and let me know.

Warm Regards,
Chris Dessi

 
At March 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM , Blogger amanda lavergne said...

Thank you so much Chris! Your comment is greatly flattering and appreciated. I definitely won't hesitate to come to you with questions. :)

-Amanda

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home