Monday, May 7, 2012

the power of positive thinking

I did it! I did it! Successfully ran my first 5k that is. To some, running 3.1 miles may seem like a walk in the park, but for me, someone who struggles with running & a usually poor mental attitude about it - this was a very, very big deal.

Prior to the race starting I was a little nervous - I had signed myself up as a timed runner, even though this wasn't that big of a deal (not a marathon or anything) I was surrounded by people who looked like seasoned runners. As I was trying to not let this get to my head, we were off! The first mile was actually the toughest for me - I just kept chanting in my head "you can do this, you can do this." Also, my music was a huge source of inspiration and gave me surges of motivation when I needed it the most.

I had slowed my pace (was still running though!) and was feeling pretty tired, but I willed my body to keep pushing through and that's when I saw the 2 mile marker - a smile creeped across my face and I knew I could do this. I picked up my pace a little and once I was nearing the end it was so motivating to see all the supporters cheering us on, yelling out encouraging words - it was a powerful moment.

Once I crossed the finish line, the sense of pride and confidence I had in myself was unlike anything I have ever felt for myself before. And it was me, only me who did this. I was so thankful for my strong legs, heart & lungs to get me through this - it sounds so cheesy and cliche but I felt so connected with myself. Needless to say, this 5k was definitely the push I needed - I have the motivation to keep running, do more 5k's and maybe even build myself up to longer runs (10k anyone?).

I don't even know if I should say it, but I think this 5k turned my love/hate relationship with running to just a love one (and you thought you were done with the cheesiness). :)

Me (#986) with some co-workers after the run!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At May 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Alyssa said...

Yay!! I'm so proud of you--and this made me even more excited for MY first 5k in August. I'd love to know what workout songs you listened to (I usually need motivation). Miss you tons!

 
At May 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM , Blogger amanda lavergne said...

thanks lady! and I'm so excited that you are going to run one as well! and let's definitely share tunes, I'm always looking for new music. Miss you too!

 
At May 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Kathleen said...

Congrats! I love running too!

 
At May 18, 2012 at 10:39 AM , Blogger amanda lavergne said...

thank you! running is definitely becoming a core part of my lifestyle now :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home