Monday, April 8, 2013

run, baby, run.



I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I've always had a love/hate relationship with running. When I was younger, it was mostly the hate part. I didn't have the right mental attitude and running has so much to do with your mindset. I also wasn't running the right way. It sounds weird, but once I did figure out how to run "the right way" at least for me, it has definitely worked wonders. I also felt like I wasn't flailing around and out of breath after 10 minutes.

Last year, I ran my first 5K for a great cause, Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure. At my old job, we shared office space was them, so my job had a team, and it was great motivation for me to get into shape. So I did, and I ran the whole 5K (which isn't a lot to some, I know this), but I felt really proud of myself. But as usual, once the race was over, I fell off the bandwagon and stopped running again altogether, save for some sporadic spurts of motivation.

This time around, the 5K was much more unexpected. I signed up for the Hoboken Resilience Run about 2 weeks before, and had been running sporadically up until that point. However, my boyfriend and main motivator, pushed me to the point where the week leading up to the race, we ran 5 days in a row, and 4 of those days were before work. Now, anyone who knows me, knows that I am lazy, and I like my sleep, so this alone, was a huge accomplishment for me. It's even gotten me to the point where I want to run. I've learned to sink into my core, and not put all the stress of running on my shins, I've learned it's okay to go my own pace, know when to slow down and when to speed up. Needless to say, my second 5K was another success and since I ran again the day after, I think running is definitely something I love now and I'll definitely be doing it more often.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home